99.9% successfully swallow balloon 'pill'
Non-Surgical Weight Loss Solution
Looking for a non-surgical weight loss solution? Our gastric balloon treatment offers a safe and minimally invasive path to achieving your weight loss goals. Inserted through your mouth, it promotes a sense of fullness and reduces appetite. Unlike traditional gastric balloon procedures, our Allurion (Elipse) swallowable balloon revolutionises the process. It requires no endoscopy, sedation, or removal visits.
Am I eligible?
There are many eligibility factors to consider but we generally offer a gastric balloon to those aged 18-70 with a body mass index (BMI) of 27-50kg/m2
How Does It Work?
The Allurion swallowable gastric balloon offers a quick, non-invasive procedure done in a 20-minute outpatient appointment. There’s no need for endoscopy; you simply swallow the capsule with water. The balloon is filled with saline, confirmed via X-ray, and the catheter is removed. No sedation is used, allowing you to drive home. This gastric balloon serves as portion control, remaining in your stomach for about 16 weeks, after which a time-activated valve deflates it naturally, with no removal needed.
Our all-inclusive packages ensure that there are no hidden costs. From the placement of the balloon to comprehensive aftercare support, everything is included in our pricing. We strive to make the weight loss journey as accessible and hassle-free as possible, offering peace of mind and exceptional value for our patients.
The Swallowable gastric balloon offers a range of benefits, including:
Although generally safe and well-tolerated, it’s important to be aware of risks including:
Weight Loss with Swallowable Balloons
We're the UK's only gastric balloon specialists
Over 4000 balloon placements to date
Only centre to offer warranty against early removal
One of only 8 Allurion Centres of Excellence worldwide
As the UK’s only specialist gastric balloon provider we are committed to delivering the highest standard of care and support to our patients. That’s why we are proud to be one of the select few clinics globally to be recognised as an Allurion Centre of Excellence
What To Expect
The process for booking a gastric balloon with us involves a straightforward journey consisting of consultation, placement, and ongoing support.
- As an initial check, you’re likely to be eligible if your Body Mass Index (BMI) is 27-50kg/m2 and you’re aged 18-70
- Some medical conditions and prior surgeries will mean you are not eligible but we’ll discuss those with you during a thorough medical assessment
- Our team of highly experienced advisors will chat with you about how the balloon works, package options and costs and what goals you’re looking to achieve
- We understand this is a very big step and we’re here to help you understand what to expect and answer any questions. No question is a silly question if it matters to you!
- If you’d like to move to the next stage, we’ll carry out a full and detailed history of your medical conditions, prior surgeries and prescribed medications
- We’ll offer a range of options from across our clinic network and you can choose the most convenient location for you
- We can usually arrange a consultation with your chosen consultant within a few days and, for your convenience, the appointment takes place remotely by phone or video link
- There is no charge for the appointment which generally takes 20 minutes. The consultant will discuss the procedure, your medical history and suitability and highlight any relevant risks to consider
- Your advisor will contact you after your consultation to discuss next steps. There is no obligation or pressure to proceed, we want this to be the right decision for you
- If you’d like to book your procedure, we will discuss all available dates with a minimum booking period of 7 days. We will do our best to work around any future commitments or planned events
- A deposit will be required at the time of booking to secure your space. The patient support team will be in touch to complete all pre-placement administration
- The placement itself takes just 20 minutes but expect to be in the clinic for around 45 minutes
- You won’t be admitted or asked to change into a hospital gown, you’ll simply sit in a chair whilst the consultant helps you swallow the capsule with a glass of water. 99.9% of patients are successful
- The balloon is filled and when correct placement is confirmed on the xray, you’ll be free to leave. As no sedation is used, you can leave unaccompanied and can drive yourself home
- Days 1-2 you will be on clear fluids such as water, squash, herbal teas, Bovril, stock, broth
- Days 3-4 you will be on smooth purees and nutritious fluids such as meal replacement shakes, soups
- Days 5-6 you will be on soft solids such as mashed potato, scrambled egg, flaked fish, mashed well cooked vegetables, mashed beans and pulses
- Day 7 onwards you will move to a normal textured diet but in much smaller quantities and be really mindful of your food choices and portions
- Book your free appointments with our Dietitian and Health coach to get expert advice on your diet, fitness and eating behaviours
- Attend the twice weekly live support sessions and Q&A led by our Health Coach on the app
- Use your free scales and activity tracker to monitor your weight loss progress on the app
- Use the vast library of resources on the app and find recipes, fitness sessions, classes and more to help you change your behaviours for long term success
- Allurion balloons require no removal procedure or repeat clinic visit
- At around 16 weeks, a special valve in the device opens and the harmless fluid empties into the stomach. The empty balloon casing moves through the digestive system and passes naturally in a bowel motion.
- In a very small number of cases (2%), the balloon casing is vomited out. This is completely harmless and should not cause concern
Gastric Balloon FAQ's
First, the patient swallows a small capsule containing the deflated balloon, which is attached to a thin, flexible tube. X-ray or fluoroscopy is then used to confirm the capsule’s correct positioning in the stomach. Once confirmed, the medical team inflates the balloon using a sterile saline solution, creating a feeling of fullness and reducing hunger to aid in weight loss. Finally, the thin tube is gently removed, leaving the balloon in place for 4 months before is passes naturally.
99.9% of patients swallow the ballon without any difficulty, if you do have problems, that’s ok, your doctor will be on hand to help.
The recovery time after gastric balloon placement is typically minimal, with most people able to resume normal activities within a few days.
The balloon is filled with saline solution during the procedure, and it usually takes about 5-7 minutes to fill the balloon. You can expect to be in the clinic for approx. 45 minutes in total.
How much weight you will lose and how quickly varies from person to person and will depend on how well you adapt to the gastric balloon and how much you are prepared to adjust your lifestyle, eating habits, and activity levels. Experience has shown, however, that 70-80% of weight loss typically occurs during the first three months of treatment*.
This can differ but most people say they can’t feel the balloon as such, rather they have a feeling of fullness or heaviness in their stomach. Some patients say however that when they engage in vigorous activity e.g. running, they can feel some movement. There is no discomfort, just a different sensation.
We know that when you decide to have a gastric balloon procedure, you want to start your journey as quickly as possible. Although the gastric balloon is a safe non-surgical procedure, it is still a medical procedure with strict eligibility criteria and contraindications. We are asked whether the consultation can be on the day of the procedure and even whether a consultation is required at all. We need you to see a doctor at consultation to ensure there is nothing in your medical history that would suggest the balloon is not a suitable option. Depending on clinic and consultant availability, we can normally book you a consultation in about a week and then we just need to leave a minimum of 7 days between consultation and procedure to give you time to consider your decision and for us to complete your booking administration.
*Compared with dieting, research studies show that a gastric balloon programme can help you lose 3 times more weight than by following a diet and exercise alone. Results and benefits do vary and are different for each individual. As such, Gastric Balloon Group cannot guarantee specific weight loss goals.