Exclusive Air Filled Gastric Balloon for Weight Loss
Exclusive to Gastric Balloon Group, the Heliosphere balloon is a non-surgical weight loss solution. Inserted endoscopically through the mouth, this balloon is filled with air, taking up space in the stomach and promoting a feeling of fullness during meals. No hospitalisation is needed, and the balloon stays in place for 6 months until it’s removed endoscopically.
Fully inflated with air, the Heliosphere balloon weighs just 10g and its lightweight design helps to minimise side effects, giving a more comfortable experience than traditional saline-filled balloons. You can resume normal activities quickly after implantation for a convenient and effective approach to weight management.
Introducing the Heliosphere
Exclusive procedure to the Gastric Balloon Group
Am I eligible?
There are many eligibility factors to consider but we generally offer a gastric balloon to those with a body mass index (BMI) of 30-50kg/m2
How Much Does The Heliosphere Balloon Cost?
Our all-inclusive packages ensure that there are no hidden costs or additional fees. From the placement of the balloon to comprehensive aftercare support, everything is included in our pricing. We strive to make the weight loss journey as accessible and hassle-free as possible, offering peace of mind and exceptional value for our patients.
Included in our package
bariatric nurse support and emergency helpline
1-1 with Dietitian and Health Coach to guide you to best results
videos and live classes on diet, fitness and retraining behaviours
body composition scales and activity tracker
The Heliosphere Balloon Placement
The Heliosphere placement is a quick and easy treatment that can be completed as a day case, allowing you to resume your daily activities immediately with little downtime required. Fully inflated with air, the Heliosphere balloon weighs just 10g
You will be admitted as a day case patient at your chosen hospital and taken to an endoscopy suite.
You will be semi-conscious throughout the 20 minute procedure but sedated for your comfort. It is not a general anaesthetic.
The consultant will check the health of your stomach with a camera. Then using an endoscope (long tube), the soft deflated balloon slides through your mouth, down your throat and into your stomach. Once filled with air, the balloon is detached and the tube is removed.
You will be in hospital for 3-4 hours, there is no overnight stay. As you have been sedated, you won’t be able to drive so you’ll need someone to take you home.
The balloon stays in place for up to 6 months, before it is removed in a similar 20-minute day case procedure. Again you will be sedated whilst the balloon is emptied and removed endoscopically.
Find Your Local Clinic
We have clinics all over the UK but your nearest clinic options are shown below. Depending on your choice of balloon and date availability, our team will recommend the most appropriate clinic for you.
Consultations are completely free and carried out remotely by telephone or video. Appointments are without obligation and last approx. 20minutes. They are a good opportunity to discuss the procedure with the consultant who would do your procedure.
What To Expect
The process for booking a gastric balloon with us involves a straightforward journey consisting of consultation, placement, and ongoing support.
- As an initial check, you’re likely to be eligible if your Body Mass Index (BMI) is 27-50kg/m2 and you’re aged 18-70
- Some medical conditions and prior surgeries will mean you are not eligible but we’ll discuss those with you during a thorough medical assessment
- Our team of highly experienced advisors will chat with you about how the balloon works, package options and costs and what goals you’re looking to achieve
- We understand this is a very big step and we’re here to help you understand what to expect and answer any questions. No question is a silly question if it matters to you!
- If you’d like to move to the next stage, we’ll carry out a full and detailed history of your medical conditions, prior surgeries and prescribed medications
- We’ll offer a range of options from across our clinic network and you can choose the most convenient location for you
- We can usually arrange a consultation with your chosen consultant within a few days and, for your convenience, the appointment takes place remotely by phone or video link
- There is no charge for the appointment which generally takes 20 minutes. The consultant will discuss the procedure, your medical history and suitability and highlight any relevant risks to consider
- Your advisor will contact you after your consultation to discuss the next steps. There is no obligation or pressure to proceed, we want this to be the right decision for you
- If you’d like to book your procedure, we will discuss all available dates with a minimum booking period of 7 days. We will do our best to work around any future commitments or planned events
- A deposit will be required at the time of booking to secure your space. The patient support team will be in touch to complete all pre-placement administration
- The placement itself takes just 15 minutes in the endoscopy suite but expect to be in the clinic for around 3-4 hours
- You will be given sedation whilst the deflated balloon is placed into the stomach through the mouth and filled with saline / air
- Following the procedure you will be monitored until you recover from the sedation and are ready for discharge
- As you have been sedated, you must be accompanied on discharge and cannot drive yourself home
- Days 1-2 you will be on clear fluids such as water, squash, herbal teas, Bovril, stock, broth
- Days 3-4 you will be on smooth purees and nutritious fluids such as meal replacement shakes, soups
- Days 5-6 you will be on soft solids such as mashed potato, scrambled egg, flaked fish, mashed well cooked vegetables, mashed beans and pulses
- Day 7 onwards you will move to a normal textured diet but in much smaller quantities and be really mindful of your food choices and portions
- Book your free appointments with our Dietitian and Health coach to get expert advice on your diet, fitness and eating behaviours
- Attend the twice weekly live support sessions and Q&A led by our Health Coach on the app
- Use your free scales and activity tracker to monitor your weight loss progress on the app
- Use the vast library of resources on the app and find recipes, fitness sessions, classes and more to help you change your behaviours for long term success
- We will contact you to arrange your removal appointment approximately one month before it is due
- As for insertion, the removal will take place in the endoscopy suite under sedation. You can expect to be in clinic for around 2-3 hours
- As for insertion, you must be accompanied on discharge and cannot drive yourself home
*Compared with dieting, research studies show that a gastric balloon programme can help you lose 3 times more weight than by following a diet and exercise alone. Results and benefits do vary and are different for each individual. As such, Gastric Balloon Group cannot guarantee specific weight loss goals.
Gastric Balloon FAQ's
The balloon is placed in the stomach during a 15-20 minute procedure. You will be conscious but sedated so won’t feel any discomfort. The deflated balloon is inserted into your stomach through your mouth (endoscopically). When the balloon is in the stomach it is filled with air and the tube is removed. You will remain in the clinic for observation until the doctor discharges you.
The time it takes to recover after a gastric balloon differs from person to person and will depend on how quickly your body adjusts to the balloon. Generally you should plan at least three days of rest to recover from the procedure before you resume normal activity.
You will be on clear fluids only for the first few days after your procedure as you go through the period where your body is adjusting to the balloon and you are likely to be vomiting or feeling nauseous. During this period, remember to keep hydrated. Following the dietary regime as advised by the patient support team and the balloon will help you to reduce your portion sizes. There are no particular restrictions as to what you can eat or drink although, for lasting success with the balloon, this is the time to evaluate your eating habits and try and reduce the amount of alcohol, high fat and high sugar foods in your diet.
How much weight you will lose and how quickly varies from person to person and will depend on how well you adapt to the gastric balloon and how much you are prepared to adjust your lifestyle, eating habits and activity levels. Experience has shown, however, that 70-80% of weight loss typically occurs during the first three months of treatment.
The balloon is punctured and emptied and the deflated balloon is removed through the mouth. Again you will be conscious but sedated so won’t feel any discomfort. You will remain in the clinic for observation until the doctor discharges you but this is usually only for a very short time. You should not experience any side-effects other than a possible sore-throat for a day or two.
This can differ from person to person but most people say they can’t feel the balloon as such, rather a feeling of fullness in their stomach.
With the air-filled Heliosphere balloon, you will feel no weight or heavy pressure in your stomach. Weighing just 10g rather than the typical 450g of a saline filled balloon, Heliosphere offers a more comfortable experience with the potential for fewer side effects.