The BIB Gastric Balloon
What Is The BIB
The BIB Balloon is a non-surgical weight loss solution designed to help individuals achieve their weight loss goals without permanent surgical intervention.
Through a simple, minimally invasive procedure, the BIB Balloon is placed in the stomach, providing a feeling of fullness and reducing hunger. With its unique self-sealing design, the balloon remains securely in place for six months, offering a safe and effective approach to sustainable weight loss. Throughout the treatment period, patients receive ongoing support and guidance from healthcare professionals to optimise their weight loss journey.
How the BIB works
The BIB procedure is a quick and easy treatment that can be completed as a day case, allowing you to resume your daily activities with little downtime.
You will be admitted as a day case patient at your chosen hospital and taken to an endoscopy suite.
You will be semi-conscious throughout the 20 minute procedure but sedated for your comfort. It is not a general anaesthetic.
The consultant will check the health of your stomach with a camera. Then using an endoscope (long tube), the soft deflated balloon slides through your mouth, down your throat and into your stomach. Once filled with saline (salt water), the balloon is detached and the tube removed.
You will be in hospital for 3-4 hours, there is no overnight stay. As you have been sedated, you won’t be able to drive so you’ll need someone to take you home.
The balloon stays in place for up to 6 months, before it is removed in a similar 20-minute day case procedure. Again you will be sedated whilst the balloon is drained and removed endoscopically.
Weight Loss with the BIB Balloon
As a guide, for our patients, the average gastric balloon weight loss is 2-3 stone*, although we have helped many to lose more than this. Experience of our own patients shows that approximately 70-80% of your total weight loss will be lost in the first 3 months. After that, weight loss slows down and the gastric balloon plays a more supportive role in helping you maintain your weight whilst you continue to adapt to new nutrition and exercise habits.
Are You Eligible
Once you have decided that the BIB is for you, you will need to ensure you are eligible to have the procedure, this will depend on a number of factors including your age, BMI, and medical history. We will discuss these with you in more detail when we speak with you on the telephone and during your free consultation but as a guide, you are likely to qualify for a gastric balloon procedure if you meet the following criteria:
search for a clinic near you
Welcome to the UK’s leading gastric balloon group! As the only specialists in the country, we work exclusively with the best consultants and operate state-of-the-art clinics to provide our clients with the most advanced and effective weight loss solutions.
We have been helping people lose weight with gastric balloon since 2016 and since then have grown into the leading provider of gastric balloons, with over 25 locations and 23 consultants.
How Much Does The BIB Balloon Cost?
From the placement of the balloon to comprehensive aftercare support and removal, everything is included in our pricing. We strive to make the weight loss journey as accessible and hassle-free as possible, offering peace of mind and exceptional value for our patients. There is an additional £250 surcharge for patients in Belfast and £500 for Scotland.
Included in our package
bariatric nurse support and emergency helpline
1-1 with Dietitian and Health Coach to guide you to best results
videos and live classes on diet, fitness and retraining behaviours
body composition scales and activity tracker
Optional Early Removal Warranty
As the UK’s only specialist gastric balloon provider, we already offer the most comprehensive package of support to our patients. We are now delighted to add to this package by being the first provider to offer a 30 day money-back early removal warranty for just £199.
Warranty Against Rupture
Endoscopic balloons include a Free 30-day warranty against rupture, your balloon will be replaced free of charge. For a small fee, you can choose to extend to the whole implantation period.
Our process for getting an endoscopic gastric balloon with us involves a straightforward journey consisting of consultation, placement, and ongoing support.
- As an initial check, you’re likely to be eligible if your Body Mass Index (BMI) is 27-50kg/m2 and you’re aged 18-70
- Some medical conditions and prior surgeries will mean you are not eligible but we’ll discuss those with you during a thorough medical assessment
- Our team of highly experienced advisors will chat with you about how the balloon works, package options and costs and what goals you’re looking to achieve
- We understand this is a very big step and we’re here to help you understand what to expect and answer any questions. No question is a silly question if it matters to you!
- If you’d like to move to the next stage, we’ll carry out a full and detailed history of your medical conditions, prior surgeries and prescribed medications
- We’ll offer a range of options from across our clinic network and you can choose the most convenient location for you
- We can usually arrange a consultation with your chosen consultant within a few days and, for your convenience, the appointment takes place remotely by phone or video link
- There is no charge for the appointment which generally takes 20 minutes. The consultant will discuss the procedure, your medical history and suitability and highlight any relevant risks to consider
- Your advisor will contact you after your consultation to discuss the next steps. There is no obligation or pressure to proceed, we want this to be the right decision for you
- If you’d like to book your procedure, we will discuss all available dates with a minimum booking period of 7 days. We will do our best to work around any future commitments or planned events
- A deposit will be required at the time of booking to secure your space. The patient support team will be in touch to complete all pre-placement administration
- The placement itself takes just 15 minutes in the endoscopy suite but expect to be in the clinic for around 3-4 hours
- You will be given sedation whilst the deflated balloon is placed into the stomach through the mouth and filled with saline
- Following the procedure you will be monitored until you recover from the sedation and are ready for discharge
- As you have been sedated, you must be accompanied on discharge and cannot drive yourself home
- Days 1-2 you will be on clear fluids such as water, squash, herbal teas, Bovril, stock, broth
- Days 3-4 you will be on smooth purees and nutritious fluids such as meal replacement shakes, soups
- Days 5-6 you will be on soft solids such as mashed potato, scrambled egg, flaked fish, mashed well cooked vegetables, mashed beans and pulses
- Day 7 onwards you will move to a normal textured diet but in much smaller quantities and be really mindful of your food choices and portions
- Book your free appointments with our Dietitian and Health coach to get expert advice on your diet, fitness and eating behaviours
- Attend the twice weekly live support sessions and Q&A led by our Health Coach on the app
- Use your free scales and activity tracker to monitor your weight loss progress on the app
- Use the vast library of resources on the app and find recipes, fitness sessions, classes and more to help you change your behaviours for long term success
- We will contact you to arrange your removal appointment approximately one month before it is due
- As for insertion, the removal will take place in the endoscopy suite under sedation. You can expect to be in clinic for around 2-3 hours
- As for insertion, you must be accompanied on discharge and cannot drive yourself home
Endoscopic Balloon FAQ's
The 6 and 12-month balloons are placed in the stomach during a 15-20 minute procedure. You will be conscious but sedated so won’t feel any discomfort. The deflated balloon is inserted into your stomach through your mouth (endoscopically). When the balloon is in the stomach it is filled with saline (sterile salt water) and the tube is removed. You will remain in the clinic for observation until the doctor discharges you.
The time it takes to recover after a gastric balloon differs from person to person and will depend on how quickly your body adjusts to the balloon. Generally you should plan at least three days of rest to recover from the procedure before you resume normal activity.
You will be on clear fluids only for the first few days after your procedure as you go through the period where your body is adjusting to the balloon and you are likely to be vomiting or feeling nauseous. During this period, remember to keep hydrated. Following the dietary regime as advised by the patient support team and the balloon will help you to reduce your portion sizes. There are no particular restrictions as to what you can eat or drink although, for lasting success with the balloon, this is the time to evaluate your eating habits and try and reduce the amount of alcohol, high fat and high sugar foods in your diet.
How much weight you will lose and how quickly varies from person to person and will depend on how well you adapt to the gastric balloon and how much you are prepared to adjust your lifestyle, eating habits and activity levels. Experience has shown, however, that 70-80% of weight loss typically occurs during the first three months of treatment.
The balloon is punctured and emptied and the deflated balloon is removed through the mouth. Again you will be conscious but sedated so won’t feel any discomfort. You will remain in the clinic for observation until the doctor discharges you but this is usually only for a very short time. You should not experience any side-effects other than a possible sore-throat for a day or two.
This can differ but most people say they can’t feel the balloon as such, rather they have a feeling of fullness or heaviness in their stomach. Some patients say however that when they engage in vigorous activity e.g. running, they can feel some movement. There is no discomfort, just a different sensation.
*Compared with dieting, research studies show that a gastric balloon programme can help you lose 3 times more weight than by following a diet and exercise alone. Results and benefits do vary and are different for each individual. As such, Gastric Balloon Group cannot guarantee specific weight loss goals.